Chocolate Chunky Halva Pie
"Halva is a Middle Eastern confectionery made from tahini and sugar. It is best stored in the fridge and will last 4-6 months, but you should never freeze it. This pie is perfect for Rosh Hashanah as it needs to be made in advance, will store well and has the sweetness for a sweet New Year!"
30 minutes plus 30 minutes for pastry to rest
Cooking Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hours to chill
credit: Chef Denise Phillips
For the Pastry:
50g cocoa powder
250g plain flour
150g unsalted butter / non dairy margarine
50g golden caster sugar
1-2 tablespoons cold water
Pinch sea salt flakes
For the Filling
50g butter / non dairy margarine
450ml double cream/ non dairy cream
50g golden caster sugar
300g dark chocolate (70%) – break up into small pieces
120g Sesame Kingdon Vanilla Halva
3 tablespoons Sesame kingdom Vanilla Halva- crumbled
2 tablespoons pistachio nuts
1 tablespoon dried rose petals – optional
1) To make the pastry, sieve the cocoa powder and flour. Add to the food processor together with the butter, egg, water and sea salt flakes.
2) Whizz together to form a dough. If the dough looks too dry add a teaspoon or two of water.
3) Remove, cover with cling film and leave to rest in the fridge.
4) Using two sheets of cling film roll out the pastry between them into a large enough circle to fit into a 23cm fluted loose based pie tin, making sure you have sufficient for the sides.
5) Use your rolling pin to drape the dough over the tin, pressing it down into the base and pushing the pastry into the sides.
6) Trim any excess pastry.
7) Scrunch up some foil and inside the pastry, insert some baking beans.
8) Bake for 20 minutes on 200C.
9) Remove the baking beans and foil and leave to cool.
10 )Carefully lift the pie out of the tin and transfer to a large plate.
11) Place the butter into a saucepan and heat gently. Add the cream and sugar. Cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally until the cream is hot but not bubbling.
12) Remove and leave to cool for about 5 minutes and then add the chocolate. Stir into a beautiful glossy ganache.
13) Break up the halva into chunky small pieces and arrange over the base of the cooked pie. Pour over the ganache and smooth out with a spoon so it is evenly distributed. Chill for 2 hours to set.
14) Decorate the top with crumbled halva, chopped pistachio nuts and dried rose petals.