Grape, Pistachio & Date Honey Cake
"This is a family-friendly cake suitable for either tea or as a dessert. It is harvest time for grapes and so naturally I wanted to create a recipe that would reflect this bounty at its best."
as at seen at The Jewish Chronicle
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Serves: 8-10 people
credit: Chef Denise Phillips
225g butter/non-dairy margarine
350g black seedless grapes – cut in half
100g caster sugar
3 large eggs
75g Sesame Kingdom premium Date Honey
225g SR flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
100g pistachio nuts – finely ground plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
Garnish: 50g seedless black grapes – leave whole
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/ 160 Fan.
2) Grease and line a 23cm loose-based cake tin with baking parchment paper.
3) Halve the grapes.
4) Beat the butter and sugar using a mixer until pale and fluffy.
5) In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and honey, then gradually whisk into the butter mixture. Using a metal spoon fold in the flour, baking powder, and ground pistachio nuts.
6) Fold in the halved grapes, then spoon into the prepared cake tin and level the top.
7) Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer is inserted into the center comes out clean.
8) Cool in the tin for 30 minutes, then remove the cake from the tin. Transfer to a large round serving plate.
9) Top with small clusters of grapes, chopped pistachio nuts and a drizzle of honey.